Among the most famous Indian foods, Tandoori Chicken is loved by people the world over. The nicest thing about this dish though, is that it's really easy to make! Once you've got the basic recipe for Tandoori Masala
, prepare and store it so you can cook Tandoori Chicken anytime you feel the urge to eat some.
Prep Time: 18 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 18 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 kg chicken pieces of your choice with skin removed
- 6 tbsps Tandoori Masala
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Chaat Masala (available at most Indian grocers) to garnish
- Onion rings to garnish
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Make shallow diagonal slashes in the chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Mix the Tandoori Masala with the yoghurt, 2 tbsps cooking oil and salt to taste and make a smooth paste.
- Smear this paste all over the chicken pieces, ensuring you rub it well into the slashes you made earlier and that the pieces are well coated.
- Put all the pices and marinade into a deep bowl and cover. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for 12-18 hours.
- Preheat your grill on medium. Put the chicken on it and quickly sear (sealing in juices) on both sides. Now allow to brown on both sides, brushing cooking oil on as necessary. Once browned, reduce heat and cover the grill. Cook till the chicken is tender. Do not overcook or the chicken will dry out.
- If you don't have a grill you can also bake the chicken. Preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4. While it is heating, line a baking tray with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray or smear with cooking oil. Lay the pieces on this foil and drizzle lightly with cooking oil.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, then turn pieces and bake for another 10 minutes. Test chicken to see if cooked.
- When done, place chicken in a plate or platter and sprinkle Chaat Masala, garnish with lime juice, lime wedges and onion rings. Serve piping hot.