This dish combines chicken with spinach and the end result is a tasty, nutritious and healthy dish. Team it with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).
- 1 kg skinless chicken pieces (legs or breasts preferable)
- 3 large bunches spinach
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/sunflower cooking oil
- 5 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 4 pods cardamom
- 2 large onions chopped very fine
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- A dollop of butter
- Wash the spinach well and chop. Put into a pot with half a cup of water and salt to taste and boil till cooked.
- Grind the spinach into a paste in a food processor. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame and fry the chicken pieces till well browned. Remove and keep aside.
- Again heat the same oil, then add the whole spices.
- As the spices turn slightly darker, add the onion, ginger and garlic pastes and fry till the onions are pale golden in colour.
- Add all the other spices - coriander, cumin and garam masala - and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add the chicken to this masala, mix well and add half a cup of water. Cook till the chicken is almost done.
- Add the spinach now and mix well. Cook till most of the water dries up. Remove from the fire and garnish with a dollop of fresh butter.
- Serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).