I was playing around with my spices the other day and this is what I turned out! I have named it Chicken Karahi because I cooked it, stir-fry style, in my wok (karahi)! Serve Chicken Karahi with hot Chapatis or Parathas and a green salad.
- 1/2 kg chicken (I like to use skinless, boneless chicken, usually thigh fillets) cut into 2" pieces
- 3 tbsps fresh yogurt (must not be very sour)
- 1 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
- 2 tbsps tomato ketchup
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Put the chicken, yogurt, Tandoori Masala, spices and ginger and garlic pastes into a large mixing bowl. Stir to blend all ingredients and coat the chicken completely. Keep aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- After an hour, heat the cooking oil in a wok, on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and stir fry till soft.
- Now add the chicken pieces. Reserve the marinade for a little later. Fry the chicken till sealed and opaque. Now add the marinade and tomato kethcup. Stir well and season as and if required. Cook till chicken is done.
- Remove from fire and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve piping hot with fresh Chapatis or Parathas!