The word Tikka means bits, piecces or chunks. Chicken Tikka is an easy-to-cook dish in which chicken chunks are marinated in special spices and then grilled on skewers. This is one of India's most popular dishes. Chicken Tikka can also be made into Chicken Tikka Masala, a tasty gravy dish.
- 1 cup fresh yoghurt (should not be sour)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsps ginger paste
- 3 tbsps garlic paste
- 3-4 tbsps garam masala
- 6 peppercorns/ 2 dry red chillies
- 3 tbsps lime/ lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp orange food coloring
- 1 kg chicken (breast or thigh) skinless and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 large onion cut into very thin rings
- Lime/ Lemon wedges to garnish
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala (available at most Indian groceries)
- Grind the chopped coriander (keep some aside for garnishing) and all other marinade ingredients (except yoghurt) to a smooth paste in a food processor.
- Pour the above mix into a large bowl and add yoghurt.
Mix well. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow to marinate overnight.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and keep ready.
- Preheat your oven or grill to a medium high temperature (200 C/ 400F/ Gas Mark 6).
- Place the skewers on the grill racks in your oven with a tray underneath to catch drippings. Roast open till the chicken is browned on all sides and tender.
- Remove from skewers and put the chicken in a plate.
- Put the onion rings in a separate bowl and squeeze lime juice over them. Now sprinkle the chaat masala over them and mix well so the onions are fully coated.
- Garnish the Chicken Tikka with these onion rings and serve.