This most basic of chicken recipes is also one of the tastiest! Serve Chicken Curry with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or plain boiled rice.
- 1 kg chicken pieces of your choice, skin removed
- 2 large onions sliced thin
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsps garam masala powder
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions till golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Turn off fire.
- Grind the onions into a smooth paste in a food processor. Remove into a separate container.
- Now grind the tomatoes, garlic and ginger pastes together into a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil again and add the onion paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the tomato paste and all the spices. Mix well.
- Fry the masala till the oil begins to separate from it.
- Add the chicken to the masala and brown well.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of hot water to the chicken, simmer and cover. Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread), Naans (tandoor-baked Indian flatbread) or plain boiled rice.