This is the equivalent of Portuguese-style grilled chicken and the sauce it is marinated in tastes a lot like the famous Portuguese Peri-peri sauce. Serve Chicken Cafreal hot with a fresh green salad.
Prep Time: 10 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 hours, 10 minutes
- 1 whole chicken butterflied (see link for How to Butterfly a Chicken below)
- 6 dry red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- 6 peppercorns
- 30 cloves of garlic
- A thumb-sized piece of ginger
- Juice of 1 large lemon/ 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil (vegetable/ canola/ sunflower) to deep fry (traditional method is deep frying, you can also grill)
Wash the chicken well and pat dry. Now rub all over with the lime/ lemon juice mixed with salt to taste. Pour remainder of juice over the chicken and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the lime juice, grind all the other ingredients together into a thick paste.
- Apply this paste all over the chicken, cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours.
- Now cut the chicken into pieces (size to suit your preference).
- Heat the oil to deep fry the chicken, on a medium flame. Add the chicken to this oil (use a splatter cover to protect yourself from splashing oil) and fry till golden. You can also grill the chicken if you so prefer.
- Serve piping hot with a fresh, green salad.