This delicious, melt-in-your-mouth Kabab is so easy to make you'll wonder why you haven't cooked it before! If you've got kids, they will love its mild flavors too. Team Murg Malai Kabab with Naan and a salad for a winning meal!
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-5
- 500 gms/ approximately 1 lb chicken thigh, bones removed and cut into 2" cubes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsps tbsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese or mozarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 cup fresh green coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Pinch of Chaat Masala
- 1 lemon to garnish
The recipe for this melt-in-your-mouth kabab includes marinating the chicken in two separate steps. The best way to mix all the marinade ingredients is by hand so make sure to wash your hands well before you start.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels to help the marinade adhere to it better. When this is done, lay the pieces out neatly in a flat dish.
- Sprinkle the white pepper powder, cardamom powder and the first lot of salt over the chicken. Also add the ginger and garlic pastes.
- Mix thoroughly to ensure that the chicken is fully coated. Cover/ cling wrap the dish and put into the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remaining part of the marinade. Put the grated cheese in a deep bowl and mash it with clean hands to ensure that is forms a 'paste' and has no lumps.
- Now add the sour cream and salt to taste to the cheese and continue to mash and mix so that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Grind the coriander leaves and green chillies into a coarse paste using a blender or a mortar and pestle. Add this coarse paste to the cheese-sour cream mix and stir to blend well.
- After the chicken has marinated in the first part of the marinade for 30 minutes, add it to the second part of the marinade - the cheese-sour cream- coriander chilli mix. Mix to ensure all the chicken pieces are well coated.
- Now add the vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil and mix well again. Allow the chicken to rest for 1 hour.
- While this is happening, at some stage, turn on your oven to pre-heat. Set the temperature at 230°C/ 450°F/ Gas Mark 8. You can also cook these Kababs on your barbecue or grill.
- This is a great time to soak your bamboo skewers in water so that they don't burn during the cooking process.
- When the chicken has marinated for an hour, thread 3-4 pieces on each skewer, ensuring that you do it in a way so as to expose most of the chicken to the heat - thread pieces on flat, going through the lengthwise with the skewer.
- When you have threaded all the chicken onto skewers, lay the skewers on a baking tray and put into your oven. Cook for 15 minutes, remove and turn the skewers so that the part of the chicken pieces that was facing down, is now facing up. Put back into the oven and cook another 15 minutes.
- When done, gently remove the chicken pieces from the skewers and arrange on a serving plate. You can also leave the skewers as is and serve as individual portions.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of the Chaat Masala and a squeeze of lemon juice and serve Murg Malai Kabab with Naan and a salad to make a meal or just by itself as an appetizer!!