Kheema or mince can be made with any meat you prefer. It is extremely versatile and just changing the masala can result in a great new taste each time. Masala Kheema tastes delicious with Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan fried Indian flatbread).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 kg ground beef/ minced beef (you can use any ground meat you prefer for this recipe)
- 3 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsps coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala (see link below for recipe to make your own)
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped fine
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Heat the cooking oil in a wok or deep pan, on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for 1 minute. Add the onions now. Fry till they turn a pale golden colour.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the minced meat and all the powdered spices - coriander, cumin, garam masala and salt to taste.
- Continue to brown the minced meat, stirring often to prevent burning. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and cook till they are soft.
- Turn the fire off, add the lime juice and stir.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with hot chapatis or parathas.