If you're anything like me, the mere mention of sweets and desserts is enough to make you drool!
In India, besides traditional ingredients like flour and sugar, lentils, grated vegetables, fruits and even spices make up a mouth-watering variety of sweet treats good enough to satisfy even the most voracious (or discerning) appetite. Here are a few to get you started...
- Phirni... delicately flavored with cardamom and saffron
- Besan Ka Laddoo... the trick to getting this sweet right is in browning the besan (gram flour) perfectly
- Sitaphal Cream... the kind of dessert that makes you feel you've skipped dying but gone straight to heaven!!
- Puran Poli... served at breakfast with a dollop of cream (that's how I love it!) or as a post-meal dessert.
- Cham-Cham... also called "Pleasure Boats"! I even know people who use the name as a term of endearment for their loved ones!
Image © 2012 Petrina Verma Sarkar licensed to About.com